Monday, July 22, 2013

monday mash up

Waking up on Monday morning after a week long vacation is always tough to do.  I found myself having to remind my body of the routine I had rested from for so long.  Getting back to the diet was even harder.  Eating a cup of fat free yogurt was a dismal comparison to the breakfast of brownies I had enjoyed a few too many times on my trip.





Katelyn and I eased back into the swing of things by spending the afternoon poolside.

By this evening I was feeling sadly deprived so I made one of my most favorite diet friendly recipes.  For dinner I enjoyed cauliflower mash and for a few blissful moments forgot how healthy I was eating.


The first step is to clean the cauliflower and break it into manageable chunks.  Since this is going to be boiled and mashed into oblivion presentation is not key.


Boil the cauliflower until the florets are soft and tender.  A paring knife should be able to cut them easily.  I like to boil a few cloves of crushed garlic as well.  I put in about seven cloves but I really really really love garlic so your mileage may vary.


The next step is to puree the cauliflower with about half a brick of neufchatel cheese, a splash of milk, and whichever seasonings you prefer.  I uses salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and oregano.  Pulse in a food processor until everything is smooth and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment