Saturday, July 27, 2013

saturday stats - the bandwagon story

Once when I was in middle school, one of the principals, in an attempt to quiet a cafeteria full of prepubescent teenagers, warned us not to "fall off the bandwagon."  Of course, few of us understood the reference and was thought she was just babbling crazy talk.

(After teaching high school, I'm pretty convinced that all teenagers are certain that their school leaders spout out crazy talk all day long.)

Anyway, we just thought it was hilarious and we laughed like a pack of hyenas in a lunchroom den.  I came home from school expecting my family to roll on the ground in stitches of laughter when I told my amazing story.

Nobody got it.

I figured that I just needed to repeat the story a few dozen times and let it sink in.  To my dismay, the more I recounted the tale, the less funny it became.  My mom tried to explain that it was a "you had to be there" kind of story and to this day in my family, whenever someone tries to tell a story that just isn't funny anymore we refer to it as "a bandwagon story."

Well, this is kind of like a bandwagon story except that it was never really funny.

I fell off the bandwagon.

I left for my week long vacation with the shaky resolve to stick to my diet completely.  I felt like I was no where near my weight loss goal so why should I take a break?  That quickly turned into, "Well, just a few treats.  It is a vacation after all."

When I passed the fudge counter at the BYU bookstore, all bets were off and I found myself flung from a diet bandwagon speeding out of control.  Luckily a big pile of soft fluffy fudge broke my fall.

It was pretty easy to justify since I was out of town and I don't go on many vacations.  However, when I got home, it was even harder to get back on.  Day after day of the past week, I ran alongside the bandwagon trying to jump back on but my feeble attempts were in vain.

It's really frustrating and disappointing especially since I have no one else to blame but myself.  I wish I could blame that BYU fudge but I'm pretty sure inanimate objects have no control over my actions.

I'm trying to use this as a learning opportunity.  There are two lessons to be learned, I think.  First of all, I think that vacations are a great time to take a little break from the diet.  It's okay to have a pound taste of delicious fudge. (Why am I so hung up on this fudge?)  That being said, I could have been way healthier on my trip.  I could have made my plan of attack ahead of time and simply chosen a few off plan treats to enjoy.

Secondly, and this is the lesson I'm still grappling with, how do you get back on that dumb diet bandwagon?  This is not the first time I have been derailed by a vacation, holiday, or special event.  It seems like nearly every month has some celebration that has to do with eating.  I truly believe that I need to find a balance in life between fasting from all indulgences forever and going absolutely crazy any special occasion that passes my calendar.

What do you do to get back on the bandwagon?

3 comments:

  1. I love how you write, you are so talented ;).

    Weight loss and maintaining weight is huge mental battle. Since it truly is a mental battle more than physical, for me it's how I think about it.

    If I think "I can't have it but I want it" I feel depressed and deprived.
    If I think "I can have it but I'm choosing not to" I feel more in control

    I know it sounds stupid but my mind set makes a big difference. If I tell myself I can totally have that hot fudge or cookies or whatever but I'm going to have an apple instead it feels more empowering to be choosing the healthier thing rather than being mad that "I can't have the cookie".
    IT's NEVER EASY.

    I'd say find something you can live with. If what you were doing unlivable that it will never work long-term. I hate the word diet. I try to thing of it as eating in moderation or trying to make healthier choices most of the time. There's really no answer. I finally just sick of not feeling great and make myself make better choices...

    Good Luck!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For next vacation you should run out to the store the first day you get there and pick up some healthy treats - ones that are a little more expensive so you're actually excited to eat them maybe? I love mangoes but they're pricey, so sometimes I chose those. I don't have to worry terribly about my calories, but when I eat too much sugar or not regularly enough I get terrible headaches and stomachaches, so I have to have my food around. Right now I'm living with the in-laws and I have to have my food stash cause a lot of stuff around doesn't settle well with me. Stupid finicky stomach!
    To get back on, I would maybe use the same advice...pick out some special things that are a healthy treat to get your head back in the game. Even if they aren't the most calorie frugal (avocado maybe?), but they detox your body so going back to your diet is easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great advice! It's so hard to get back to reality after vacation. I with everyday was a vacation. lol!

    ReplyDelete