Saturday, June 29, 2013

saturday stats - err what?

Today we went to the pool.  We walked outside of our apartment and across the parking lot to a pool filled with approximately five hundred seventy nine people swimming.  They were freely imbibing and beer bottles littered the pool area.  At three thirty in the afternoon.


Something told us that it was not a family friendly environment today so we decided to drive over to the pool at my parents' neighborhood.  Buckling a toddler dressed in a swimsuit into a black carseat that has been baking in a car in the afternoon heat is a real treat.  After witnessing the acrobatic stunts Katelyn pulled off to avoid being strapped into the hot seat, I think she might have a real promising career in the circus.

Anyway, we finally made it to the pool.  By the time the car had cooled to a bearable eighty five degrees we had reached our destination.  The pool felt like a nice warm bath which is just what you are hoping for when it is a hundred and four out.  Literally.  And I always use that word correctly.

Despite the heat we had a great time swimming.  My parents met us at the pool and we busted out the water wings for the first time.  My parents' pool has a lap lane so we all took turns racing each other and holding Kate.  We exhausted ourselves.

By the time we got home and up the stairs we realized that we were fresh out of diapers so an executive decision was made that I would go out and buy some while Dave watched Kate. (Don't worry.  There was a diaper in my bag so I didn't have to pick up any carpet cleaner at the store.  We are not that ill prepared.)

A scary thing happened at Walmart today.  Somehow a giant tub of Blue Bell ice cream ended up in my cart by the time I reached check out.  I'm serious.  I got to the line and I was like, "Wha?!?"  I had to sheepishly inform the check out employee that I had changed my mind because I was sure not going to lose my place in line to walk to the back of the store and put it away.  Remember I was facing a mountain of tasks including walking across the parking lot, loading the car, driving home in an oven on wheels, and crawling up the boiling hot stairs.  I would be lucky if I didn't melt in the process.

"I changed my mind," I told her.  She asked if I wanted to exchange it for a different flavor and I almost said, "Yes.  Butter Crunch please."  Instead I just told her the obvious truth.  I'm fat and I'm working on becoming less fat.  She laughed and we ended up having a nice discussion about weight loss and "the Freshman Fifteen."

Good news.  I made it home only slightly heat struck.  Bad news.  Check out my scale.  Someone please tell me that this just means the batteries are dead and I'm not too fat to be weighed.

1 comment:

  1. That TX heat sounds painful! And I love your openness with the checkerouter lady lol

    ReplyDelete