Monday, July 1, 2013

public service announcement


This is nothing more than a simple public service announcement to anyone who decides to make my Spicy Crunchy Chickpeas recipe.  It is only good the day that you make it.

I repeat.  Don't try to make a huge batch hoping for snacks for the rest of the week.

I mean, you won't get violent food poisoning or anything like that (although I did throw up last Sunday...) but they will be gross.  Much like Cinderella's carriage, the magic will end at midnight.

I made a one pound bag of beans last week thinking I would get to enjoy delicious chickpeas for the rest of the week.  That may not sound like much but, trust me, one pound a chickpeas turns into like a billion plump beans after they have been soaked and cooked.  They barely fit onto my pan.

The day that I made them they came out of the oven beautifully fragrant, spicy and crisp on the outside, and with a soft warm fluffy interior.  Think twice baked potatoes.  They were delicious.  I ate as many as my lips could handle. (They were super spicy!) I stored the rest in a plastic bag excited for a healthy snack for the next few days.

The next day I noticed that they had lost a lot of flavor.  They didn't taste like much and the squishy interior was cold and mushy.  The day after that they were nearly inedible.  The inside was dry and nasty.  Imagine that twice baked potato sitting out for a few days.  They weren't even salty.

Don't condemn the recipe completely.  The next time I make them (and there will be a next time) I won't waste my time cooking a pound of beans from scratch.  I'll simply use a can of cooked beans because that is as much as Dave and I can eat in one sitting.  I'm going to have to accept the fact that this is a recipe that is just meant to be enjoyed the day of.

Unless anyone can think of a better way to store these.  Let me know...

No comments:

Post a Comment